StatCounter

Sunday, May 31, 2009

WASHINGTON DC & ENVIRONS

We arrived in Washington DC on Friday. Saturday we visited Wolf's grave at Arlington National Cemetery and then drove on to Potomac, MD to see my old neighbors and friends, Adolf & Evie. We spent a lovely afternoon reminiscing and bringing John up to speed on our joint past. Nothing like old friends!! Also took a swing by the old neighborhood. The now owners of "my" house cut down my pink cherry tree, removed my burford holly and all my azaleas!! My friend Trish from next-door said she knew I'd be fit to be tied when I found out!! House looks a little neglected, I must sadly say!



We parked near the Capitol and proceeded to walk down to the Mall. Didn't look that far!! By the time we got to the Washington Monument we had changed our minds about that. We strode on at a somewhat slower pace to the Lincoln Monument, the new WW2 Memorial and the Vietnam Wall. Found John's West Point roommate's name. (He has 33 classmates on the Wall.) Have to say I found the WW2 Memorial lackluster. I feel the same about the other Vietnam Memorials - the 3 soldiers and the women's memorial. Looking at the Vietnam Wall with those thousands of names makes it so personal and forges such a connection. It has always made me cry. The others are just edifices. Not even great architecture or art! Then, it was time to walk back! It was hot and we were tired! Luckily, a bus came by and we rode from the Washington Monument to the National Gallery of Art; strolled through the American Wing and cooled off. It was just a short walk back to the Capitol and our car from there!


There is nothing to compare to looking back at that Wall.... just as there is nothing to compare to walking along it!

No comments:

Post a Comment